× Have some feedback and input to share?
Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.

Collectors Club

7 years 1 month ago #152 by Deoraide
Collectors Club was created by Deoraide
I have collected phonecards since 1990 and now have a collection of over 22000 worldwide cards. I have made many friends in that time in Ireland and all over the world. What I can see to my dismay is that there are very few, if any, new collectors joining the ranks. What I have seen in the last year is some, who had collected in the early years, returning to the hobby now.
I have wondered for some time how to get some new collectors - especially younger ones - interested and started.
I have thought about starting a Collectors Club in my locality, encouraging and helping anybody interested, in collectibles of all kinds. Phonecards, Stamps, Coins have caught the attention of people in the past, why not again.
If anybody here has any ideas on the matter - positive or negative - all is welcome.
I have thought that maybe something could be done in association with local schools - hopefully teachers would see the benefits.
Collectibles such as phonecards and stamps can be History and Geography lessons with a difference.
I know that I learned more History and Geography from stamps and phonecards than I have from any teacher.
Maybe there are more here with the same idea and we could share suggestions.
Grateful for any response.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago #153 by nick
Replied by nick on topic Collectors Club
Great idea :) . I think it would be difficult to get people into collecting phonecards nowadays, however, as they are no longer available and people would be relying on ebay/adverts etc. to get their cards (this would put kids at a huge disadvantage).
Starting up a swapping club where people can trade/buy cards with each other is a great idea though. I havn't had much time to work on this site due to other commitments. But I do plan on introducing a trading place seporate from the forums for such activities.
Hows your collection coming on now, many new cards? :)

Nick

7 years 1 month ago #154 by Deoraide
Replied by Deoraide on topic Collectors Club
Hi Nick. As I collect worldwide cards - especially chipcards - I have been lucky enough to get some of the more elusive Monaco, Luxembourg, Andorra, New Caledonia and French Polynesia chipcards. Also one TAAF card which came at a good price.
As for my Irish collection - just two good cards added lately.
I am interested in mint SIM cards so added a Lyca Mobile and an older Esat Digifone card with non-removable chip to my collection. The Lyca Mobile card came free from a shop in Waterford while the Esat card came cheaply at €3.
If anybody knows where more of these Lyca cards are available, I would be deligted to find out.

Tom

7 years 1 month ago #155 by nick
Hi Tom,

Good to hear that. I must admit I havn't got a Callcard in a while (except a 50u limerick trial for the bargain price of €10!) due to being very busy. I have only managed to get around to re-instating the marketplace on here :) .
Regarding sim cards I recently got a Tesco Mobile sim pack for free from here . I even ordered 2 and they sent out 2 sim packs! These cards go for a few euro in Tesco so it's a good deal. I don't collect the SIM cards but wanted to switch to Tesco :) .

Nick

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #159 by Deoraide
Replied by Deoraide on topic Collectors Club
Hi Nick.
Thanks for the link for the free Tesco cards. Just ordered a few. Also a couple of my relatives will be wondering why Tesco are writing to them!! I had better forewarn them. Each card costs €2.50 in the shops - just bought a couple.
Would be great to hear that EMobile had the same facility as they insist on a €10 top up with every card. No way!!

I treat mint SIM cards the same as I treat chipcards. I only collect mint ones. I don't bother with empty frames and really try to avoid cards with the chip taped back on.

Just got a UCD chipcard for €3 - a good buy I think.
Take care

Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: nick

7 years 1 month ago #160 by nick
Hi Tom,

Yeap they had no problem sending me out 2 packs so I doubt you'll have any. I would ring around the mobile providers and ask do they have any sim packs for collecting purposes. Even going into the shops, you never know, you may be greeted with nope or there you go :) .
I saw a Lyca card in a Centra there yesterday, think it cost €10 though! May be no harm looking in your nearest Centra though.
Not a bad find on that UCD card ;) . 3 is pretty good, they are not all that common in fairness. I have a blue shaded one, on the look out for the white!

Nick

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds